The White Rose | Book Review

6/10/2016

Hi everyone!

It has been a long time since I've written a book review. I haven't been reading leisurely for a very long time. However, while I'm traveling I have some time to relax and read. Today I'll be reviewing The White Rose by Amy Ewing, which is the second book in The Lone City series. 

I have a book review on the first book in the series here. This post will give you an overview on the series. 

This book was interesting and action-packed, but the characters are banal and unlikable. I still think this plot is interesting, but the book is not very well-written.

Overall, I do recommend reading this second book if you have read the first. I'm still a little unsure about this series as a whole. If you like dystopian novels, this would be a good read. But overall, I'm not ecstatic about the series.

I'll now be getting into the spoilers of the book, so don't read on if you haven't read the book!

So...

That ending though! I did not see that coming although in hindsight, it seems obvious. The ending left me very anxious for the next book. How did the Duchess do it? Also, Hazel is now screwed. 

I have to say, there is not character in this book that I like. All of the characters come off to me as arrogant and unlikable. There are times when Violet says (or thinks) such cheesy things I get goosebumps. i.e. When she said that all the surrogates were not little girls and would show the world how powerful they truly are. More power to her I guess.

That leads me to the relationship between Violet and Ash. First of all, I don't like Ash. When he kept complaining about how he wasn't doing anything, he was only causing more problems and being so annoying. Second of all, I've always felt that their relationship was too rushed. I also don't feel the chemistry between them. Overall, they are not an exciting or loveable couple.

As I've said the plot is interesting. I liked that we were able to learn more about the history of their world and see the world outside of the Jewel. I do think, however, the plot in the first book was more interesting, mainly because I find the Jewel more fascinating to read about. 

I can't help but feel that this book is just another typical dystopian novel. It fits the form of all dystopian books with a few changes here and there. I would say this book is three out of five stars. It's quite average. Although the story line is interesting, the book isn't written well enough to become a favorite. 

So that's my review of this book. Tell me your opinion in the comments done below. Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments