A Book I Couldn't Finish

2/02/2017

Hello everyone,

I hope you've all had a great day today. I'm about to go to sleep but wanted to give my thoughts on Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.

Before I begin this review you should know a) I didn't finish the book (as the title of this post suggests) and b) I do love Stephanie Perkins' writingAnna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door were both charming reads.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Isla and the Happily Ever After. Oh my gosh, reading this book was so frustrating I couldn't get through all of it. Here are the notes I took while reading...

1. Thought Josh was Max for some reason...? Wow, my memory is great.
2. I really like Kurt!
3. Wait a minute... Josh, Isla's crush of 3 years who Isla has obsessively stalked, likes her back? What is this?
4. Don't mean to drag on poor Isla, but does she have a life outside of Josh?
5. THIS BOOK IS TOO HEART FLUTTERING.
6. How is Isla the top student at this competitive boarding school? She literally spends all her time thinking about Josh.
7. WOW THIS RELATIONSHIP ESCALATED FAST.
8. Isla claims to be this shy, timid girl, yet she wasn't too shy with Josh on their first date.
9. Is everyone in this book extremely attractive and wildly talented or brilliant?
10. Debating if I should give up on reading this book...
11. "When it's Josh looking at me... I don't mind..." what?
12. What even is book? Fairy dust and rainbow sparkles? Where is the substance?

So it's safe to say I was not the biggest fan of this book. There was just too much fluff, and the characters were such boring, privileged little twats.

Again, I know many people absolutely loved this book, so I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but this just wasn't my taste.

Thanks for reading!

mel

P.S. I always pronounce "Isla" as "Iz-la".

You Might Also Like

0 comments