Two Books I've Read Recently

1/28/2017

Surprise, it's me! (Actually, this is a scheduled post but it still counts right?)

I haven't been doing much of anything these days which leaves me time to get back into one my favorite pastimes: reading. I used to be quite the avid reader and then school started getting busier and I started to get addicted to YouTube instead.

But this month has been differentI actually finished two books, and I'm working on the third (Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell)! Both of these books I'm reviewing today happen to be the finales to their respective trilogies.

This review is going to be very quick and incomplete; it only contains one spoiler, which I've labeled for your convenience.

The first is The Midnight Star by Marie Lu. I can't remember if I reviewed The Young Elites or The Rose Society, which are the first and second books of this trilogy.

I forgot most of the details from the first two books going into this third book, so I didn't know what was happening and who was who most of the time. A few notes about this trilogy as a whole:
a. I love that the main character is an antihero; it makes her so much more interesting. Granted, I don't really like her (she's really extra) but that's a minor detail.
b. Now that I think about it, I don't really like any of the characters in this book...
c. SPOILER ALERT! I wonder if Enzo did truly love Adelina... I was disappointed when he said the name of some other girl. But I do like Magiano, so it's all good.
d. This book got really confusing and complicated near the end, but I really liked how it ended.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this series; it's very interesting, and the setting it takes place in is so cool. But the characters were kind of bland; none of them were very likable, in my opinion.

The second book I read was The Black Key by Amy Ewing. I definitely remember reviewing the first book, The Jewel, but not the second.

This book is extremely similar to The Hunger Games, minus the actual games and the love triangle. The main character is strikingly similar to Katniss; they could very well be the same person. I also see many parallels between other characters (i.e. Violet and Prim, Lucien and Cinna, etc.)

To me, this trilogy is just another run-of-the-mill YA fiction series (as was The Young Elites). However, the world it takes place in is very interesting; I often found myself imagining what my life would be like if I were to live in this world (which, thankfully, I don't). I often predicted what would happen, but nonetheless, I couldn't stop flipping the pages to see what would happen next. Again, the characters aren't lovable at all, but if you enjoy reading this genre, you would probably like this trilogy.

So that's the end of today's post! Hopefully more book reviews will be coming in the future. I'm almost done with Fangirl, so look forward to that review!

I'd love to hear what you thought of either of these books if you've read them. Thanks for reading!

mel

You Might Also Like

0 comments