The Jewel│Amy Ewing

11/15/2014

Hi everyone!

Today I have a review on The Jewel by Amy Ewing. I have the book downloaded onto my phone so I don't have a picture of the book to show you. :( This book has a cover that really reminds me of The Selection. I decided to read this book after watching Elle Fowler's review on it.

I really enjoyed this book. It took me a couple chapters but after a while I was hooked into the book. It was so interesting and I just couldn't put it down. This book sounds really weird but it actually very interesting. It's basically about this girl who lives in a dystopian world where they follow a system of classes. The Jewel is the richest class but the woman in that class cannot reproduce. However, some girls in the Marsh, the poorest class, has the gene to give birth so they are plucked from their homes and sent to train in magical powers and become surrogates for the woman from the Jewel. They get sold in an auction and live with the rich women.

It's a really interesting book and I really enjoyed it. There were some points in the book that I really did not appreciate, but overall I really liked this book. This book kind of reminded me of a mix of The Hunger Games and The Selection, but a bit darker. So if you haven't read it yet, good read it and then come back and discuss because the rest of this blog post will contain spoilers and you do not want to be spoiled. ^__^ I would give this book a 9/10.

Thanks for reading! Now go read the book before reading on. :)

Spoiler Alert!

So I really did like this book a lot. I thought the plot was so interesting and could not put it down. I loved the intense scenes and it made me very nervous and excited throughout the book.

I don't like a lot of the characters in this book. Violet really annoyed me. I just didn't really like her personality. There were times where she just seemed stuck up and she made so many rash choices. I don't hate her for it but she was really annoying to me. However, I totally feel bad for her and all of the surrogates. I also did not like Ash and I always felt suspicious of him. I thought he was secretly working for someone and would trick Violet. Again, I feel really bad for him and most of the characters in this book. Reading about being a surrogate (or companion) was so scary and I had to sympathize the characters.

One of my biggest pet peeves in books is probably relationships that come out of no where or develop so quickly. I feel like a lot of books have this concept nowadays. Violet has only known Ash for like month or something and then they sleep together. Violet doesn't have much freedom and I guess their lives aren't going to last but her rash decision made me cringe. I can't believe she didn't think the Duchess would find out and that she might get pregnant from Ash. -__-
(mini spoiler alert for Percy Jackson)
For example, one reason I love Percabeth so much is because their relationship felt more mentally connected than physically. Also, their relationship grew and developed. 
(end of spoiler) 

For some reason, I found the Duchess a very interesting character. Even though she's the "villain" in this book, I kind of felt bad for her. I love how the author kind of played up the Duchess, making her seem evil but also vulnerable and human.

Did Lucien remind anyone of Cinna? I felt like he was Cinna's twin brother. A lot of scenes in the beginning of the book were so similar to The Hunger Games, but this book was obviously very different. The ending was pretty interesting to me because Garnet really intrigued me. I'm really excited for the next book and hope to read more about Garnet.

So I hope you enjoyed my book review! Leave me a comment down below what you thought of the book! Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments