Stressed about college apps? Me too.

12/10/2017

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

There are only 4 more days until my fate for the rest of my life is decided...

Just kidding! Although, honestly, sometimes this entire college app process feels that way.

In 4 more days, I will be hearing back from the college I applied Early Action to. The chances of success are very slim. Seriously, the chance that I'll be admitted are so abysmal, I don't know why I still hope. But for some reason, I just can't let go of that hope. I keep fantasizing about getting in, the quickening of my heartbeat in excitement when reading the word "Congratulations" and the pride I'll see on my parents' faces.

Sometimes, I can't distinguish between what I want more: admiration and approval from those around me or to attend the college of my dreams. I mean, isn't my dream college my "dream" because it will win me validation from others? There are undoubtedly things I love about the college I've applied to. Yet, I have to admit, what I love about it the most is the prestige it carries with its name.

Another part of me wants to be admitted purely out of fear of being rejected. Being rejected would lead me to question myself: am I not good enough? What have I done wrong? Do I need to rewrite my application? What is wrong with me?

Getting into a certain college won't guarantee any success later in life. Yet, in my mind, success and a prestigious university almost seem synonymous. Truth is, I'm insecure. And getting into a brand name college would validate my ability to succeed.

Everyone fails. It's common knowledge that everyone fails. And it's inevitable sometimes. Yet, failure is petrifying. Because what if we fall down and can't get back up? Does it signal the end?

Ultimately, what sets apart successful people isn't their immunity to failure but rather their ability to recover from failure. That determination, that undying desire to achieve is the most powerful, not a famous university's name on a resume.

I'm still deathly afraid of opening that decision next Thursday. But if the results are less than satisfactory, it doesn't signal the end. Far from it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments