Slut Shaming

2/05/2016

Hi everyone!

I'm back after my long hiatus. I hope you all had an amazing January.

Today I wanted to talk about slut shaming and gender inequalities because these two topics always get me extremely fired up. I consider myself a feminist, so both slut shaming and gender inequality make me very frustrated.

I wanted to talk about this today because today, a girl who is a somewhat distant friend of mine called me a slut. She was joking (I guess), but I am still angered when people use the term "slut" as a joking matter. I believe that her rude comment came from a place of insecurity within, and I'm not too bothered by her comment, but I'm really bothered by slut shaming as a whole. I've been trying to control my anger and not get angry over trivial things, but slut shaming is something that angers me all the time.

I'm frustrated that women are called derogatory terms because of their outfits or choices in life. Whatever someone does in his or her life is completely up to that person. Others have absolutely no right to judge that person for what he or she chooses to do. I really wish we humans would all just treat each other kindly and not make fun of others for their choices. However many people someone chooses to be intimate with and whatever someone chooses to wear should not be judged if that person is not harming anyone. In my case, what I was wearing was not affecting anyone harmfully, and I did nothing to deserve a rude comment.

I notice that people love to hate on women. I'm not saying that only women get bashed, but so many people just love to be rude and nasty to women. I always think of that one scene in Mean Girls when the teacher is talking to the female students about girl on girl hate. Girl on girl hate is seriously so sad and needs to come to an end. We should all empower one another, men and women, rather bring each other down.

All that being said, I told the people who I sit with at lunch about what had happened. Most of them were just like "eh whatever screw you and your feminist problems". But one girl decided to turn the negative situation into a positive one. She gave me a compliment, and it really made me feel a lot better. At the time, I probably didn't seem that thankful to her when she said it, but I truly was. I myself have been trying to compliment people more because I want to spread love and positivity to all the people around me. I hope all of you do the same as well.

Anyways, that is my blog post for today. The past few weeks have been crazy stressful for me, and I was struggling a lot with my schoolwork. However, I've made it through that stormy week (and I took the SAT!), and I'm going to be back making more blog posts. I'm thinking of starting a schedule and posting every Monday and Thursday.

Thank you all so much for reading; it really means a lot to me! Hope you are all having an amazing day.

You Might Also Like

0 comments