The Muslim Ban

2/03/2017

A week ago from today, Trump's new executive order halted all entry of refugees and blocked citizens of 7 Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States, for 120 and 90 days respectively (The New York Times).

Christians are given priority over Muslims, and the 9/11 perpetrators' (along with many other terrorists') countries are not included in the ban (The Telegraph).

...

As of right now, I am ashamed and embarrassed to be an American.

I love America, and I recognize the immense privilege I have living here.

However, as a daughter of two immigrants, I am disgusted by this so-called "travel ban" that, in my opinion, is completely unconstitutional. America is a country built on immigration. There is no one group of people that "deserves" to live in America more than another.

To all those affected, know that you are in my thoughts. Although it isn't tangible, know that there are people on your side.

As for people who support this ban, I respect your opinion, so please respect mine.

Thanks for reading.

mel


You Might Also Like

0 comments